Monday, August 18, 2014

An Adventure

I fear that I am yet again not accomplishing much from my studio, but I will say that great plans are starting to fall into place for it! I fully intend on getting back to my Queen of Hearts now that my work for Thrice Fiction is finished with this last piece:

"Lotus" 9x12 inch, acrylic on studio painting board. Available in my Etsy Surreal Shop.
I actually wasn't sure about this piece, but by the end I was in love with it. My daughter really likes it. It's one of those pieces that if it doesn't sell, it may mysteriously show up in my daughter's room. My art that she likes tend to magically show up there when I'm not looking (actually, my son will sneak a few pieces here and there too.)

On the Alice in Wonderland front, not only is my plan to work hard on my Queen of Hearts (who has now officially been reserved, but prints will be made eventually), but there are also plans in the work for the White Queen (who lived backwards) as a companion piece, and little paintings like the "eat me" tea cakes and so on. I'm nearing the end of the series, but I see a few more coming. I may not be painting much physically right now, but there is a lot going on internally in my mental studio! (I know that sounds wrong, but go with me on it. I paint many paintings in my head before they ever show up in reality!)

As I said in my last post, the move is on for North Carolina! That's all well and good, but there is a lot that needs to happen in order for us to get there. We're going on a trip to find a new house. At the top of my list is a REAL studio space! My husband is all on board, I imagine due to my studio here sprawling out over all levels of the house. The tiny bedroom upstairs that initially housed my entire studio doesn't even hold all my supplies at this point. Wedging myself in it to paint is near impossible! With my parents living with us temporarily, I've even pulled my painting back from the kitchen table to my bedroom. Neither are good places, but it's what has to happen in the chaos!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to looking at homes with a true eye to a good creative space! It's all very exciting! After we get back, my parents should be relocating within a week or two, and then things will settle down some. I can't move until the house here sells, and so I'll just be working on my studio projects and biding my time. It's actually a good thing I have work to focus on.

In fact, I've been perusing my unfinished pieces. There are a LOT, and I think I'm going to work on finishing them in between working on the queen (it's a sort of break, even though you're still working.) I'm not sure what to work on first, but I have some options:


The top left is the acrylic dragon/girl piece I was doing for autumn last year. The top right is actually in oils and I was doing a painting time-lapse of it. There are to be two castles, both crystalline/impressionist and one black and one white (white and night, black in the day) with lightning in between the two. The bottom left was my Christmas one from last year that I didn't finish on time as my Christmas card, but I'd like to finish it for this year's then. I wanted to paint a new Christmas painting every year! The last is a surreal landscape, with a big tree.

I have no idea why I wandered away from any of these. It's not as if there was a huge distance to go on them. I never used to do this. I would work on one piece and finish it, then move onto the next. Now, I have oodles of unfinished work... how did that happen?


4 comments:

  1. How exciting to be on the move and looking for a new house with STUDIO SPACE! I often have art pieces that have been put aside for years and years, but eventually, we get back to them. And it IS odd, that many of those pieces were THIS close to being finished. I wish you much success in your search for the perfect place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kyra thank you so much for your tip on perspective. I never even thought of doing that with books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having lots of projects started but incomplete ? I find myself doing that with jewelry. My mind creates things faster than I can make them. Right now I have at least a dozen partially finished pieces. Sometimes our muse goes into overdrive.

    Hope you locate the perfect house with a big, gorgeous room that is ideal for your studio. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your children have great taste ;o) Lotus is amazing! Very cool! I love the colours!
    Congrats on the sale of your Queen Of Hearts ;o)
    It will be fun looking for a home ;o) I wish you all the best ;o)
    I guess those pieces weren't meant to be done last year. It was your time this year ;o)
    Take Care ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.