Friday, April 19, 2013

Cheshy

I finally finished him! Thank goodness! I don't know if there is an easier way to paint hair and fur, but I haven't found it. The excitement of a new painting tends to dull in the face of endless hair strokes. Still... it's done!

"Cheshire" 16x8x1" Acrylic on Stretched CanvasOriginal and Prints Available

I like his more refined aire, than the standard disturbingly grinning Cheshire Cat. Oh, he's mischievous all right, but just a bit more dignified about it.

This has freed me up to start sketching out Alice. I really wanted to do her in watercolor, but I've decided that the switching of mediums might be too jarring in the series. So, I have a nice 11x14" canvas all ready to go, now I just need to get sketching!

I admit, I have had the television on in the background all day. Boston being on lock down, all the stations running a constant commentary (including when they shouldn't be giving out tactical information - you would have thought they would have learned something from previous problems with broadcasting troop movements and such to the opposing sides, but no - of course not. The news wants to beat everyone else with any details they can glom onto.) I was bothered as anyone would be by the bombings, but also because I am a runner. Granted a really, really slow and bad one. But I HAVE run a marathon.

I'll never do it again, with half marathons being my limit now, but I've been there. I've crossed that 26.2 mile finish line. It's just probably just that connection, thin though it is, that makes it stick that much more.

So here I sit, one ear to the television hoping that they'll figure this out, and my focus on making my Alice show her face!


13 comments:

  1. Love your Cheshire Cat! And can't waith to see Alice come to life. And I totally get it about the news, it's horrible, how can somebody do that (no matter part of the world it's in)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's all sketched out now, I can't wait to paint her! :)

      Delete
  2. Very, very beautiful. I love it. Great composition and colours. So creative and inspiring. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You captured the essence of the Cheshire Cat beautifully! You are an amazing artist. I adore Alice in Wonderland themed art work.
    Cheers!
    Teresa in California
    http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Chesire Cat looks wonderful! I love the mysterious night sky...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amalia! The Cheshire just seems like a night time cat. :)

      Delete
  5. I love your Cheshire Cat sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much!! He is a magical, frisky little guy, loving the night ;o)
    I am happy that everything is over with for the people in Boston, so terrible!
    Good for you, running marathons!
    Take Care ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your kitty looks quite ornery. Way to go with the details! I admire long distance runners. My oldest son ran an ultra a few times and one of them was a 50 mile. There were actually people there that were doing 100. Can you imagine? My son took 9 hours and 44 minutes to complete his run. It was in Utah and we met him every 5 miles where he would stop for a couple of minutes and refuel. It was crazy. I ran 7 of those miles with him and I was cooked. Kudos to you for running 26 and even 13...it's all amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really dig this guy, Kyra! He is just awesome! All those little hairs just make him that much more believable.

    I love how slinky you made him, too :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.