Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Diving In

So, I finally sucked it up and took on my peacock fairy. I finally rationalized that even if I screw this up, I can just make another one. Why am I so invested in this one, as if I'm unable to allow myself the room to fail? Silly me, sheesh.

So, here's where I started:

I popped in the background with watercolors before I realized that the reactivation and absorption was a problem:

Then I switched to diluted acrylics and started in on her first, because I felt like if I screwed up her face, then I'd know the project was over early and be able to move on without wasting my time (I know, I'm such an optimist. *ahem* I really don't understand why this piece is so far under my skin!)

And it ended up not being ruined, so I started layering in her hair. I had intended to go a coppery red with her (and I still might), but I'm kind of diggin' the blonde, so I'm not sure now. I'm leaning towards keeping her blonde.

I stopped working on her for a little while when I realized she was doing fairly (*giggle*, sorry, couldn't help myself) well, and switched to the peacock.

And that's where I ended up stopping for the night on Tuesday, because I was starting to get grumpy with the process. It's important to know when to stop. I figure that was a lot of progress for just one day (not counting the background) though, so it was a good day!

Today, I have done less. I've been in a sort of tired, grumpy mood and the drive to paint just wasn't there the same way it had been yesterday. Still, I layered in a lot more of the peacock and used some of my diluted iridescent paints over the top of the feathery marks, which created a nice (yet flashy) effect here in person. So, my peacock is nowhere near done, but at least I've gotten a little further in the process with it!

I think the painting is coming out well, although I'm still on the fence about the hair color. We'll see how it shakes out! I'm hoping to make some real progress on Thursday!

I've also realized that I do love painting these, but that I need to work bigger. I think I've been working too small. This one could have easily been on a 12x18 instead of a 9x12, and it would have made it a bit easier. Good to know! I'm also thinking about backgrounds and what sort I'd want to drop in, or do I keep them rather uncomplicated right now, given that my subjects end up very detailed. 

Lots to think about, at least! I hope everyone is doing well!


  1. Kyra she looks stunning. I admire your art so much. It is so rich in details and color. I am a lazy artist, I can never dedicate long enough to add that much detail to it.

  2. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see the final result. It amazes me how much detail you put in.

  3. wow! I love the constrast with the light fairy and the dark peacock!


Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.