Monday, July 28, 2014

Rainy Day

For a July day, it's decidedly dismal here. It's raining, and dark, and apparently we're not going to even make it out of the 60's temperature-wise. Yet, I sort of feel as though I need it, this down weather. It's been a BIG week.

Due to a mix-up, my parents ended up moving in with us a week early, and in more of a rush than they intended. They're staying with us until this move to NC (or not) is decided. Their lease was up, and rather than sign a new one here and be stuck in Vermont and left behind, or sign one there and not have us actually go, they're here.

So, there's been packing, and boxes, and shifting and merging, and... seriously, just trying to merge their refrigerator goods with ours was like playing food Tetris!

They have two cats that are running around like little furry lunatics, which makes my art areas a tough thing to work in. My dad also telecommutes, so now there's another person trying to work all day in the madhouse. Basically... I'm fried at this point!

My deadlines all came and went and I didn't meet them.

Here is a piece that is STILL unfinished for an auction that ends in only a few days:

Started with the sketch on pastel paper
Started filling it in. It's been a LONG time since I used pastels (minus my spoon thief)...

It's getting fuzzier. I'm not certain I actually like the pastels. I feel as though precision is tough with them.

Someone suggested silver hair, but unfortunately I had already started on the auburn. I think silver or purple would have been fun! But regardless, I'm not really thrilled with it. I just feel... it's fine when you are a few steps back from it, but right on top and up close? It's fuzzy. Blurred a bit. Maybe pastels are supposed to be this way, but I like a crisp line, so it's really bothering me.

I also didn't remember that there's only so much you can load the paper too. With paint, you can keep going in layers. With pastels, you only have a few and then it's done. It simply can't take any more.

Anyway, I've decided that this week is all about my deadlines. I need to finish this piece if I can. I need to also finish two pieces for Thrice Fiction. I have one sketched out, and it will be in pastels also:



I'm hoping the soft blur of chalk pastels will suit it better than on a human face. We'll see!

After that, I'm sincerely hoping I can get back to my Alice series. It's hard to maintain focus in chaos, and my house feels a lot like being in a hurricane! Moments of calm, but a lot of moving parts - most of it unpredictable.

The good news? We're at the tipping point. My husband is flying out for his interview/meeting this week, and it should be settled if we're moving or not by no later than next week. Actually, I know it will be because we can't hold out any longer. The company really likes to drag its feet (this has been going on since February), but we can't tolerate that any longer. Either they make a decision or we will. We know what our alternative course of action is, so now it's just coming down to the final play, so to speak.

I don't even care any more, I think. I did want to move, but what we've been put through since February... I just don't care. I need things settled, even if it means we stay here.

And I need a break. So, this rainy weather? It suits my mood. So, that's something! Hopefully next Monday I'll have more exciting things to report!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kyra. Sorry to hear about the hectic atmosphere happening around you. For me, its very hard to create when there is too much going on around me. Looking at both pieces you are working on, you are creating great!!! I love the woman for the auction. I don't use pastels however looking at her, I think she is awesome. Not blurry on this end :) And your wolf is beautiful. Looking forward to seeing him/her in color too.

    Hang in there. I have to keep reminding myself that the only definite thing IS change and I am happy for you that there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel! Hugs, Rasz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kyra ;o) I know, I am late like usual! But, I am here ;o) I hope things are settled down with your parents at your home!
    I think your lady with the eye is very dramatic! Stunning! You could put a purple streak in her hair ;o)
    Your wolf is gorgeous! Can't wait to see him coloured ;o)
    I hope you get for sure news if you are moving or not! That would be so frustrating!
    Big Hugs ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kyra, as they say; "It never rains, that it pours." Sounds like things are rather chaotic at the moment but guess that beats mind-boggling-dull and boring. Things will eventually settle down.
    Love the lady, and yes she would be awesome with silver hair.

    Sorry I've missed so many of your recent posts. I've been off-line and just "our of it" lately. Hope I snap out of it soon, perhaps I need some of your chaos. :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.