Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Waiting

I had been waiting to write a post until I had something to show for it, but I'm starting to realize that  isn't going to happen. I have hardly had any time in my studio lately, because life has simply taken over!

My husband is in India right now on a business trip (I'm lobbying to go with him next year) and I suddenly have the urge to paint elephants with beautiful paint on them, and so on. I think a pretty elephant would be a nice addition to my paintings... were there any elephants in Alice in Wonderland? No? Well there should have been! Maybe in my series, there will be.

I'm realizing that being a "single parent" means I have to get in everything, no matter what time it is, and that cuts right into my studio time. On top of that, we're decorating for the holidays. For some reason, it's taking a lot of effort this year and I feel like stuff is missing. I can't quite figure out what it all is... I know my snowmen have gone MIA, but other than that? No idea...

This set is in my bedroom, which I finally got up last night.
And this is what I did with my kiddos last night...
I have a strong urge to paint and work in my studio, but not nearly enough time, and the holiday deadlines are breathing down my neck. I'm starting to realize why so many artists shut down about a week into December. I had been confused by that, thinking "isn't this their busy time to sell?" But I get it now.

Last year, I hadn't fully committed to selling art as my main career. I was still maintaining a split between my photography business and my art. Now that I look back, I realize that I didn't do much at all in December for my art, but I was hopping on the photography front like crazy with family portrait sessions! Fine art takes a certain mindset that is hard to maintain in the insanity of the holiday season. I see that now!

I'm going to do my best and work with my holiday deadlines, but then? I may just declare a two week period of vacation from my studio. Maybe it'll be a good thing after all! I just feel like I have so many paintings stacked up in my head that want to come out, so I'm climbing the walls at the same time as being able to get nothing done.

GAH!

I know it's only the 5th, but how's your season going?

10 comments:

  1. This is so much how I feel these days and overhere we didn't even start with Christmas yet! We first have to do St. Nicolas, wich will be over after tonight. Elephants would be nice! I still have 3 paintings that wait to be painted and they are starting to scream at me when I walk in my studio!;-)Thanks for sharing Kyra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I feel because I haven't done any 'art' then I don't have a blog post to make. :) Your christmas decorations look beautiful in your bedroom, how lovely! I haven't started thinking about decorating yet but I have done lots of present buying. We've a very big family so it had to start early!
    Jess x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're lucky on the present front, I haven't gotten any of that done yet!

      Delete
  3. I've been feeling rushed and behind since Halloween....haha!
    I wanted to stay on top of production and maintain a well stocked shop, but I'm having trouble keeping up with everything I wanted to do, too...

    I'm finally getting to the point where I am just going to paint for the enjoyment of it and list when I can. If I make it in time for the postal deadline, great.......if not, great, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like I need a year in secret to get stocked the way I feel I'm "supposed" to be!

      Delete
  4. Love elephants....needed to say that ;o)

    I am one of those artist's that is shutting down this week for Christmas but really what that means is that I am re-stocking my paintings ready to start up again in the new year and far from taking time out from the studio lol
    I find this time of year a bit lacking in inspirations though so I am also trying out new things in my journal too.

    Christmastime is always a mad rush, but I can't imagine it any other way :)

    I hope you manage to find time to enjoy the season amongst the madness.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love elephants too! :) I have the inspiration, I'm just tapped out on time. I'm not sure where it's all going!

      Delete
  5. oh Kyra, I know exactly how you feel... I too have been taken over by life and creativity has taken a back seat. And i would be lobbying to go to India too... I have been wanting to visit India for the longest time. My husband says he will not go, so maybe with my brother.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.