Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Monkey Business

I haven't accomplished too much in my studio, yet again. I do have this lemur to share:

4x6 inches, acrylic on canvas, Available


He is only 4x6 inches, acrylic on canvas panel (he's available.) I actually want to do another one. I didn't know how he was going to turn out, and at one point I thought I might have to scrap it.

That's part of the problem I have been having. It's almost like I feel like I forget how to paint on some days. Have you ever felt that? It's so weird! I'm wondering if perhaps I am feeling it because I keep painting things I haven't ever painted before... like a lemur. Really, I haven't painted a lot of animals in general, so I'm figuring out a lot of fur techniques as I go. In truth though, I think I just blindly figure my way through each painting. Eventually it does get there! Well, usually.

I'm still doing a lot of thinking about what I want to do with my art. I know that I want it to be more than small $50 paintings being completed over and over. I want to "paint big" (as in speak loudly.) I also know I want to include human subjects, and I have a LONG way to go to reach the skill level I want to have to be comfortable in my art.

The only way to get there is to start doing it, repeatedly, and consistently. So, that's my goal - to be trite - Just DO it (already!) I can plan and wish all I want, but if I want to get better I need to make the effort and suck it up when it feels crappy. And it will.

Jumping the gun a little bit, I am going to do a nude study for (hopefully) a submission to a local gallery I would like to get involved with. That's coming up fast, so I hope to start that in the next day or two.

Life-wise, things are getting tough again. I wish I could say more, but in short I knew this was coming and it's just very unsettling. Unsettling I can handle, my real fear is it getting scary and life-and-death as it was last year. It's entirely possible. I'm just trying to keep a positive outlook and eyes on the goal of life getting better eventually.

I hope you are all well! I read all your comments on my posts, and I'm sorry I didn't respond earlier!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Your lemur looks like a photograph and not a painting. Very realistic. Well done. I just saw a Ted Talk on Facebook yesterday about effective practice. You might be interested in it: https://youtu.be/f2O6mQkFiiw

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful Kyra. Those little fuzzy hairs, and those eyes ... Gorgeous! I'm always amazed by people who can do furs. It's a complete mystery to me how one can get those hairs to look so lifelike. I am very familiar with that feeling you're having as if you forgot how to paint. I am going through a phase like that right now. I always have it when I haven't done something for a while, and have to get back into it. The only remedy is to just do it. Easy to say, but not so easy to do ... Hope life'll treat you kind this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say that Lemur is just about perfect, the eyes, the nose, captured beautifully! I always have trouble painting fur and wonder if I will EVER get it right, but one must keep striving. I think your fur is really good. Yes, I often forget how to do my work if I've been away from it for even a few weeks. I had to get back into the fiber sculpted animals, and I felt as if I was starting from scratch. It seems troubling, but we all go through it. Of course, it doesn't help that you are going through stress, that can knock you out of kilter in many areas of your life, especially your creative side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your painting is truly stunning! I find sometimes, that if I'm forcing my art, that is the time, I know it's time to take a break! Funny you said about painting big, because that's what I want to do too! All the best with the nude! Sounds amazing! I'm so sorry you are going through a bad time again in life!! Sending you big positive hugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my art blog! If you would like to leave a comment, I would love to hear from you!

Warning to those wishing to leave a spam/advertising comment or link: do not bother, I will delete it.